Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Last nights Chow Fun Recipe

Last night I wanted to try something different, so I decided I would make Chow Fun. The recipe seemed really simple, so I headed to my local Asian Market and picked up my ingredients. When I got home I realized I was missing some. I improvised and made a few changes to my recipe.
It may not look as amazing as in a restaurant, but it was just as tasty!

Here is the recipe I started off with. (Ingredients in red were the things I altered)

Ingredients:

  • 1 lb beef flank steak I just used a pack of beef that was already sliced small

  • 5 teaspoons dark soy sauce Worschester Sauce

  • 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry I didn't even substitute for this. I left it out

  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar

  • a few drops sesame oil

  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch

  • 1/2 pound fresh rice noodles Rice Rolls, I had to slice them to noodle size though.

  • 1 8-ounce can baby corn Bean Sprouts

  • 2 garlic cloves

  • 1 tablespoon Chinese black bean sauce

  • 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons oyster sauce

  • 5 tablespoons oil for stir frying, or as needed Canola Oil

  • Preparation:

     Add the steak, worschester sauce, sugar, sesame oil, and cornstarch. Marinate the steak for 15 minutes.

    While the steak is marinating, prepare the vegetables: rinse the bean sprouts in warm running water and drain. Smash, peel, and chop the garlic cloves.

    If using refrigerated rice noodles, rinse them in warm water to loosen. Cut the noodles into 1/2 to 3/4 inch strips. (with my noodles I boiled them for about 4 mins to loosen everything up. )

    Heat a pan and add 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is hot, add the beef. Lay flat and let brown for a minute. Stir in the black bean sauce and stir-fry the beef until it is browned and nearly cooked through. Remove steak and place in a bowl or plate till later.

    Clean the pan and add more oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic until aromatic. Add the noodles and cook until browned.

    Add your vegetables when the noodles are just about done browining. Once the vegetables are cooked add the steak back in and stir in oyster sauce to taste.

    1 comment: